Weight: 247 LBS
Team: Memphis Tigers
Since breaking into the scene as a Sophomore from East High School in Memphis Tennesse James Wiseman has been the poster boy for 2020 class. Wiseman was ranked the #1 High school prospect in the country by ESPN on the ESPN top 100. This ranking further increased his hype with teams such as; Arizona, FSU, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Texas, and Vanderbilt offering him a full-ride Basketball scholarship. However, unsurprisingly so he decided to stay home and play at the University of Memphis with fellow 5-STAR recruits; Precious Achiuwa, D.J. Jeffries, and Rejean Ellis. Once arriving at Memphis controversy occurred with the NCAA deeming him ineligible and receiving a 12 game suspension. Immediately after receiving the 12 game suspension, Wiseman announced that he was leaving college to prepare for the NBA Draft playing only 3 games at Memphis. Over this 3 game span, Wiseman averaged; 19.7 PPG, 10 RPG, and 3.0 BPG on 77% shooting.
Strengths & Weaknesses
- Wiseman has long arms that will be helpful when blocking shots
- Great agility that allows him to run the floor at an elite level
- Very good defensively altering and blocking shots left and right
- Smooth shooting form, with proper coaching, may be able to shoot 3’s
- A large frame that will help him guard the stronger Centers in the NBA
- Needs to fill out his frame
- Occasionally forgets to seal his man on the offensive end
- Wiseman’s footwork often gets sluggish and clunky
- To be a top Center in the league he will need to improve his finishing with his right hand
- Needs to play more aggressive and use his size
Wiseman is a good player with a lot of potential in his game. I fully expect Wiseman to be one of the premier Centers in the league in his prime. His ceiling, in my opinion, is 2014/2015 Anthony Davis a Player who will consistently get you 20 points and 10 rebounds but will need another star on the team to help him. Despite all the potential Wiseman possesses he, in my opinion, has the lowest floor amongst the top 3 bigs in this Draft.